Monday, July 11, 2011

Save the James Webb Space Telescope

Congress is trying to kill the James Webb Space Telescope. Tell your house representative not to!

This is what I sent to my representative, Dennis Kucinich

"Dennis:

I like next to xxx on yyy drive and I work at NASA as a subcontractor to zzz. I have 3 small children and I have been deeply inspired by the Hubble telescope. The James Webb Space Telescope, Hubble's successor, is up for vote to be canceled on Wednesday. While this program is behind schedule and over budget, I implore you to redouble our commitment to making this telescope a reality. It must not be canceled because the marginal return on the discoveries of the Hubble has decreased drastically since the time when it gave us the first ever views of the universe at the level of detail that it can provide.

The JWST is in an entirely different class of telescope. The progress that has been made to date is substantial.

With the Keppler mission discovering new planets around other stars all time time (the count is up past 550 extra-solar planets), we NEED the JWST to image these planets and their solar systems.

For the good of my toddlers, vote to support this instrument so that they too can be inspired by an America that is on the forefront of discovery and inspiring all of us to dream big and reach for the stars!"

No comments: